|Sony VAIO VGN-CS215J/R 14.1-Inch Laptop (2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 Processor, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, Vista Premium) Red
|List Price: $949.99
Our Price: $949.99
With a CS notebook, you can let your computer do the talking. Why own a stodgy PC that fails to reflect your personality and sense of style? Distinguished by lustrous high-gloss colors that truly make a statement, the CS notebook was designed to fit into and express your style like no other PC can.
Add a zesty style to your mobile computing with the stunning good looks of the Sony VAIO VGN-CS215J/R notebook PC, which offers a high gloss red coloring and is tricked out with a pair of dynamic LED lights that glow from beneath the front to deliver an ultra-cool effect in a full spectrum of colors as your music plays. This VAIO CS is also a great multimedia companion, enabling you to go straight to your movies, music and photos via an intuitive AV slide control that lets you control your media with the slide of a finger. The touch-sensitive controls have 12 bright LED indicators that light up as you glide your finger to change tracks, scenes or adjust the volume.
The 14.1-inch widescreen display uses Sony's XBRITE-ECO LCD technology so you can see deeper blacks, brighter whites, true-to-life color and razor-sharp detail from almost any angle. Stay connected to colleagues, friends and family at home or on-the-go with real-time video conferencing using the integrated MOTION EYE camera and microphone.
It's powered by the 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 processor, which boosts speed, reduces power requirements, and saves on battery life. It also offers a fast 800 MHz front-side bus speed and 2 MB L2 cache. It also includes Intel's 5100 AGN wireless LAN, which will connect to draft 802.11n routers and offers compatibility with 802.11a/b/g networks as well. And you can use wireless headsets for video chats and stream music to compatible speakers using the embedded Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity (featuring the A2DP music streaming profile).
Other features include a 250 GB hard drive, 4 GB of 800 MHz RAM (maximizing capacity), dual-layer DVD¡ÀRW drive (which also burns CDs), integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics (with up to 1750 MB of total available video memory), ExpressCard 34 slot, and both Memory Stick and SD memory cart slots. It also comes pre-loaded with the 64-bit version of the Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium operating system.
This Sony notebook is Energy Star 4.0 certified, and has received a Silver EPEAT designation for meeting standards to help reduce its environmental impact. Additionally, it is RoHS-compliant, effectively reducing the environmental impact by restricting the use of lead, mercury and certain other hazardous substances.
| Spec Check |
- Color: Red
- 14.1-inch LCD screen
- 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 processor
- 250 GB hard drive
- 4 GB RAM (maximum)
- Dual-layer DVD¡ÀR drive
- Quad-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) & Bluetooth 2.1
- Intel 4500MHD graphics (1750 MB shared)
- Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
- Weighs 5.7 pounds
- Processor: The Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 processor has a 2.0 GHz processor speed, fast 800 MHz front-side bus (FSB), and 2 MB L2 cache. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
With two computational execution cores in a single processor, it provides greater system response when running multi-threaded applications simultaneously with no significant increase in power consumption. It's optimized for multitasking and is ready to support the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system. It can simultaneously run multiple demanding applications--such as graphics-intensive games or serious number-crunching business productivity applications--while downloading music or running virus-scanning security programs in the background. Some of the advanced Intel innovations of the Core 2 Duo processor include:
- Smart Memory Access: Improves system performance by hiding memory latency, thus optimizing the use of available computer data bandwidth to provide data to the processor when and where it is needed.
- Advanced Digital Media Boost: Effectively doubles the execution speed for instructions used widely in multimedia and graphics applications.
- Dynamic Power Coordination: Coordinates Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology and idle power-management state (C-states) transitions independently per core to help save power.
- Deeper Sleep with Dynamic Cache Sizing: Saves power by flushing cache data to system memory during periods of inactivity to lower CPU voltage.
- Hard Drive: The generous 250 GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 RPM) provides more than enough capacity for storing a large audio and video library, as well as extra space required for video editing. This SATA hard drive also quickens the pace with a higher speed transfer of data--akin to Firewire and USB 2.0.
- Memory: The 4 GB of installed RAM (PC6400, 2 x 2 GB) maximizes the capacity of this notebook, and it also offers an ultra-fast 800 MHz speed.
- DVD/CD Drive: The dual-layer DVD drive is compatible with a wide range of formats, including both DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs, CD-RW discs, and dual-layer (DL) DVD+/-R discs, which can hold up to 8.5 GB of data--great for backing up your MP3 collection or your most important documents. It features the following speeds: 4x for DVD+R DL, 4x for DVD-R DL, 8x for both single layer DVD¡ÀR, 8x for single layer DVD+RW, 6x for single layer DVD-RW, 5x for DVD-RAM, and 24x/16x for CD-R/RW. It reads DVD-ROM discs at 8x and CD-ROMs at 24x.
- Keyboard & Mouse: This notebook has a standard 82-key keyboard with a 2mm stroke and 18.05mm pitch as well as an electro-static touchpad. Control your music and movies with a slide of your finger using the touch sensor A/V slide control. You can control media playback as well as volume.
Screen, Video & Audio
The Sony VAIO CS in red.
You'll enjoy razor-sharp graphics and widescreen movies with the 14.1-inch WXGA high-definition screen, with its 1280 x 800-pixel resolution. The XBRITE-ECO technology (with LED backlighting) delivers brilliant colors and stunning clarity with efficient power usage, and it features an anti-reflective coating to minimize reflection and ensure a beautifully clear image from any viewing angle.
Video is powered by the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD, which uses shared video memory (up to 1750 MB allocated from the system memory). This graphics card is built with Intel Clear Video technology, which delivers clearer, more detailed images by eliminating many of the jagged edges and video artifacts seen when viewing interlaced content and features powerful color control to ensure videos are not too dark, overly bright, or washed out. It's compatible with external monitor resolutions up to 1920 x 1200.
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
Be ready for the next platform in wireless connectivity with the integrated quad-mode Intel Wireless 5100AGN Wi-Fi chip. Based on the draft 802.11n Wi-Fi specification, it offers up to five times the performance and twice the wireless range as existing 802.11g wireless. It's also backward compatible with 802.11b/g networks (commonly found in home routers and wi-fi hotspots) as well as 802.11a networks (which has a higher throughput, but more limited range--great for closed office environments). With the Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity, you can communicate and synchronize with Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as PDAs and cell phones as well as enjoy wireless stereo music streaming (thanks to its embedded A2DP profile).
This notebook also includes a next-generation ExpressCard 34 card slot (though no PCMCIA slot), which lets you take advantage of thinner, faster, and lighter expansion cards for even more advanced wireless, networking, storage, and security features. Here's the full list of connectivity options:
- 3 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
- 1 FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) port for connecting digital video camcorders and other peripherals
- Analog video output: 1 VGA
- 1 ExpressCard/34 slot
- Memory Stick/Memory Stick PRO slot (Standard/Duo) with MagicGate functionality
- Secure Digital memory card slot (compatible with MMC cards)
- 1 headphone jack, 1 microphone jack
- 10/100 Fast Ethernet
- 56K modem (V.92/V.90)
The 64-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium (with SP1) is the operating system for users with advanced computer needs, and it includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center for watching DVD movies and accessing your digital audio library. You can also use Windows Media Center to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV) and to access new kinds of online entertainment content. Computers that include Windows Vista Home Premium and an auxiliary Windows SideShow display will also allow you to access key data even when your computer is off. It is also easier than ever to share files between other PCs in your household and to manage your laptop computer settings to more securely connect via Wi-Fi.
Every edition of Windows Vista provides the essential tools and technologies to help protect you whether you are browsing the Internet, connecting to a wireless network, or just reading e-mail. All editions of Windows Vista include new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures long before you have lost any important personal data. And, all Windows Vista editions include parental control features that allow you to manage and monitor your family's use of games, the Internet, instant messaging, and other activities.
Microsoft Windows Live OneCare anti-virus and recovery (trial version), Microsoft Works SE 9.0, Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student (60-day trial), Sony Click to Disk Editor (CD and DVD burning), VAIO Movie Story (video editing), VAIO MusicBox
Dimensions & Weight
This notebook measures 13.2 x 9.6 x 1.57 inches (WxDxH) and weighs 5.7 pounds.
It's powered by the VGP-BPS13A/R rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which has a battery life of between 1.5 and 4 hours (depending on usage). This laptop is compliant with Energy Star 4.0 specifications, meaning that it uses less power and reduces greenhouse gas emissions by meeting very strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy.
What's in the Box
This package contains the VGN-CS215J/R notebook PC, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, and operating instructions. It is backed by a one-year limited hardware warranty, and Sony offers 1-year of toll-free telephone technical assistance.
- Stylishly designed notebook with graceful curves, pulsating LEDs, and 14.1-inch screen in red
- 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 processor, 250 GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM (max), 8x multi-format/dual-layer DVD drive
- Quad-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity, 10/100 Ethernet, Intel 4500MHD graphics with up to 1750 MB of shared memory
- Connectivity: 3 USB, 1 FireWire, ExpressCard 34 slot, Memory Stick & SD readers, VGA
- Pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium (SP1, 64-bit) and Sony multimedia software
- AWFUL - DO NOT BUY A VAIO
Vaio's are terrible computers. Mine has been incredibly slow since I bought it and now my hard drive stopped working properly and I can't turn it on. When I went to the Sony website for help they told me it would cost $280 to fix. Outrageous. I had an HP for five years with no problems, Vaio's are garbage, don't waste your money....more info
- Very Attractive Looking Laptop, Decent Specs, but not without flaws
What I really did like:
- Touchpad & Keyboard are phenomenal; On par with even Apple's offerings.
- Extremely good looking build & casing. Feels sturdy.
- Bright LCD screen
- Feels lighter than usual for a 14.1' laptop
- Decent specs for work & home (2.0GHz 2xCore, 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2, GMA 45000 HD, 1280 x 800, 800MHz bus, 250GB harddrive)
- Built in MemoryStick reader
What i really didn't like:
- Touch Pad buttons are "clacky" - By this, I mean the click sound is a bit loud.
- Battery life good, but not great.
- Media Key touch sensitivity a bit off at times.
- Sub-par gaming performance; Non-discrete video.
- Ridiculous amount of bloatware that you'll have to remove. Besides the 30 SW packages that Sony provided, there was the Google Toolbar, QuickenBooks, Live OneSupport, MS Works, a trial of MS Office, Roxio, Adobe Air/Flash/Reader, ArcSoft Camera software, WinDVD and about a dozen other things (Java, VC++ Redistributable, MSXML, etc...)
BTW: My purchase was the White version of the same model....more info
- New Sony Vaio
I really like this laptop. It is lightweight and very easy to configure for initial use....more info
- Nice computer, but having comflict w/the vista
Just received my Sony gorgeous pink laptop and tried to hooking my new matching Microsoft wireless mouse up to USB. Microsoft Vista recognized the mouse but the mouse will not operate. I also tried hooking up my new Kodak all in one printer without success.
After spending over 5 hours on sunday tt Sony technical support I was no more ahead than when I first started.
I now have a computer tech coming tomorrow to either get the mouse working on vista or downgrade me to XP.
I am not faulting Sony because it is a great product and almost everything I own that is electronic is manufactured by Sony. The problem lies with Miscrosoft Vista! ...more info
- Lovely and stylish laptop!
* Super stylish number with very nice LEDs and a sexy pink color
* Powerful specifications (Intel Core 2 Duo, 250 GB hard drive, DVD writer)
* Fast graphics and wireless connectivity
* Ample USB ports, Firewire
* Solid software because it has 64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1
* Not all might like the pink color
* Typing on keyboard gives some noise (not very silent)
* A lot of bloatware - you might want to remove them...more info
- Solid Purchase
Made purchase back in February 2009 and very much liking this little Sony, so far. This has fast processing with the 64 Bit T6400 Duo Core 2, 4 GB RAM, and better than average graphics for on board Intel graphics. I'm not a gamer, so can't say in that regard, but for news clips, movies, music video, and MLB live/real-time feed, the graphics provide a good TV quality images on cable ISP. The included useful Sony software makes the purchase all the more attractive. I installed MS Office Small Business 2007 with no problems. A nice machine that has proven to be all I wanted for a travel computer. Would definitely recommend....more info
So my boyfriend bought me this laptop three months ago. It had been working just fine and then a few weeks ago it got to where it wouldnt charge. I called customer service and they asked some questions and they said it sounded like the actual jack was messed up. So they mailed me a prepaid box and said they would take care of it. It came with a one year warranty and we bought an extra four years.
So I get a message sayin I have to pay [...] bucks for them to fix it.THATS ALMOST A BRAND NEW ONE! We call and they say that the motherboard is also messed up. Ummm I dont think so! They say my warranty wont pay for it. The tech was supposed to call us and when he finally did he said he found other things wrong with it...like the mouse thing. What???
Then they accuse me of breaking it on purpose and stuff. Who in their right mind would do that? They said they even called and got a "confirmation" that thats what happened? HELLLLOOO? WHAT? Who would they call? LOL....
So they are mailing it back to me....Best Buy said they would fix it for free. I should have just went there to begin with than dealing with crooks like SONY! ...more info
- Good stuff!
All expectations done.
The product is really good. A friend of mine bring me this Laptop. It's something we don't have down here.
I recommend....more info
I spent MONTHS researching HP, Dell, Macs, etc. trying to find the perfect laptop. I am heading to college in the fall and really need something easy to use, but also advanced enough that it has all the features I will be needing. I heard negative comments for each of those brands, ranging from horrifically loud fan to a glare that prevents outdoor use to way to pricey for the product, respectively. Consequently, I had NO idea what to do. Then someone suggested looking into Sony and THANK GOD I DID!!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS LAPTOP!! It's a perfect size, red is the perfect color (I had my doubts about it being too red, but it really is gorgeous), it works fantastically, the keyboard flows so well, it's fast, it's efficient, it was relatively cheap compared to others...it's perfect!!! Overall I would suggest this product to anyone!!!...more info
- Bloat ware makes using difficult
I bought a sony laptop for my daughter before going to college. It's a great computer BUT the (adware, bloatware, free trial software) is terrible.
As an example the free trial (Adobe pro soft ware)(a program that does not work till you register and pay extra) stopped her from loading (Adobe reader, (a free program)) My daughter needed Adobe reader to get homework assignments. So she had to go to the computer lab.
I will not buy another SONY computer till they stop installing useless, advertising software. ...more info
- Cooler fan noise
I bought one Sony Vaio VGN-CS115D on OCT 2008 and after four months of use it started to make a noise that became worst and worst. Now I am having a problem with the cooler fan and I have to buy one new, because I am not on Canad¨¢ and how is difficult to find the spare fan. I called sony phone and lost a lot of time untill I got the wright sector. Now I am wating the ne cooler fan asn it is suposed to arrive just on 3 weeks....more info
- Worst product in globe
I own this pink sony viao which is one of the worst product I ever seen.
Just wanted to share some facts related to this product dont go with looks as I did same mistake ,It works good for few months then I bet u will have same problem Belive me i send this same Pink color sony vaio laptop to repair center 3 times in 1 year.
However wanted to convey or spread message to all buyers ,friends and collegue not to buy this sony vaio product in your lifetime belive me....more info